Frequently Asked Question
At San Diego State University, people often need to connect to data or resources on the SDSU campus while they are at home or traveling. The use of the GlobalProtect VPN allows people to connect securely so data remains safe in transit between their computer and the VPN firewall.
Note: If you have Trend Micro antivirus installed on your computer, you MUST uninstall it before installing GlobalProtect VPN.
Downloading the GlobalProtect VPN
- Go to https://vpn.sdsu.edu and sign in with your SDSU ID and Password.
- Click the Download Mac 32/64-bit GlobalProtect agent link to download the installer to your computer.
- Click Allow if prompted.
- Open the GlobalProtect file.
- Click Continue.
- Click Continue and then click Continue again.
- Click Install.
- Type the password for your system account and then click Install Software.
*Note: For macOS 10.13 and later releases only: you have to allow Palo Alto Networks in Mac Security & Privacy as part of your initial setup. If you are prompted with a system extension block, follow the on-screen instructions to allow GlobalProtect to install the extensions. Go to System Preferences, Security & Privacy, General and select Allow and then close the Security & Privacy window.
- Click Close to finish the installation.
Connect to the VPN
- Click the grey GlobalProtect icon on the Mac menubar.
- Type vpn.sdsu.edu as the portal address and then click Connect.
- Type your SDSU ID and password and then click Sign In.
Note: Enter only your SDSU ID as your Username. Do not enter your email address.
Note: If you do NOT use Duo, GlobalProtect will connect you. If you use Duo, follow the directions below.
Authenticate with Duo
- Only Duo users are required to follow the next steps.
- If you need assistance, call the IT Help Desk at 619-594-0975 or submit request at https://servicenow.sdsu.edu.
Duo users are have three options to use to authenticate. What you type is not displayed. Only bullet points appear in the text box.
Perform one of the verification options below:
Send Me a Push
- Type Push in the prompt and then click OK to generate a push to your primary DUO two-factor authentication push device.
- Click Approve to verify access.
- Type Phone.
- Answer the call to approve your access.
Enter a Passcode
- Open the DUO Mobile app on your phone and then select your account. A six-digit code is generated for you.
OR press the button on your hardware token to generate a new code.
- Type this code with no spaces into the passcode field and then click OK.
Note: If you are not able to connect after several attempts, call the IT Help Desk at 619-594-0975 or submit request at https://servicenow.sdsu.edu for assistance.
Disconnect from the VPN
- On the Mac Menubar, click the GlobalProtect icon.
- Click Disconnect.